Sunday, February 7, 2010

Y as in Europe- Addendum

I may have written Y as in Europe too soon! My friend shared with me a phonetic alphabet reference she got on the phone. A woman said, “A as in (long thinking pause)…A flower.”

This week I called a school in California. The secretary spelled the name of the principle and said, “G as in the letter G,” and then “D as in the letter D.”

Unfortunately, I still couldn't tell if she was saying, B, D, or C but I loved that she referenced the letter as the thing itself. I want to try that out the next time I explain something, “He has Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia. You know, Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia, as in Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.” Ps. Whoever came up with that term has a cruel sense of humor.

1 comment:

  1. You bring a smile to my day! Thanks for the laugh I get when I read your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete